Amish Puppy Mill Awareness ABC at 10:30 on Friday 2/18/11

A place for you to post any general discussion topics!

Amish Puppy Mill Awareness ABC at 10:30 on Friday 2/18/11

Postby Carole » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Just got this. Please CROSSPOST.

Dear Friends, I have sent this information to everyone on my PETS, Inc e-mail list. We are asking you to please watch ABC Nightline this Friday at 10:35 EST concerning Amish puppy mills. Most of all please forward this information to everyone on your e-mail list.

The Amish in Pennsylvania, and I suppose just about everywhere, have been known for years to be one of the worst puppy mill breeders in the United States (and probably Canada). This came as quite a surprise to me though as I never imagined these people would treat animals so cruelly and harshly. I changed my mind when I saw a documentary several years ago. They have "facilities" where they breed hundreds, even thousands of small breeds under terrible conditions..Several times a year they hold huge sales of older worn out small breed dogs. The conditions of these dogs are beyond description, some are blind, crippled, etc. But apparently they still havea few more litters left in them, and are sold at these huge auctions where hundreds of "bottom rung on the ladder" breeders can pick them up for as little as $10, $15, $25. Newspeople who have tried to attend have been turned away and thrown off the property. Hidden cameras showed what was happening inside the barns where these auctions are held.

It also showed the fields where the Amish grow their crops. A small airplane took pictures of these fields that were strewn with the carcasses of little dogs that died in their "care". They use them for fertilizer. Hard to believe I know, but that is why you and everyone you know (who cares about animal welfare) needs to watch this documentary. It is also why you must believe it when rescue organizations like us beg you not to buy puppies from puppy mills, backyard breeders, and pet stores that sell puppies, and who procure them from puppy mills.

In the past twenty years we have taken in many hundreds of animals rescued from puppy mills and backkyard breeders, or given us by their owners who are "retiring". . The conditions they come to us in are horrific and heartbreaking. The laws are almost non-existent toprotect these unfortunate animals. Even when brought back to a semblance of good health, many are so traumatized from their experiences of living in a filthy cage all their lives, they never recover from their ordeal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Again, please e-mail and tell everyone you know about the upcoming show.

Pat McQueen, President, PETS, Inc ~

The Carolinas Humane Society.
Carole

Return to Discussion Area